Many health conditions, anxiety, brain fog, and even premature aging stem from a lack of good ol’ fashioned sleep. Getting HEALTHY SLEEP is not just about the amount of time your eyes are closed. Make sure you are setting the stage for high quality snoozing with these tips:
- Melt built-up tension from your day with your favorite stress busting techniques. This may be doing yoga stretches, soaking in a warm bath, or meditating for 15-20 minutes.
- Avoid alcohol within 3 hours of bedtime.
- Do not drink or eat anything with caffeine (this includes chocolate!) after 2pm.
- Stay active and get some form of exercise daily. Even 30 minutes of walking has been shown to significantly improve sleep quality.
- Make sure that your bedroom is dark and cool (about 65-67 degrees Fahrenheit.)
- Avoid electronics within an hour of bedtime. Your television, iPad, cell phone, and laptop all produce bright light that suppresses the release of sleep-triggering hormone melatonin.
- Clear your mind right before bed by taking a few deep breaths. Feel your belly rise and fall with each inhale and exhale.
Cori Cohen, RDN
Founder of Belly Blissful